about this blog


This blog is dedicated to Kim Niles' friends and family. These letters are messages, meant to inspire hope and love for her recovery. If you would like to post a letter, please send an email with your letter to Kate (dangpoet@msn.com).

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ringing the bell, from Kate, Apr. 25


 Hi, my little kestrel,

The reports are flying in: you’re “bringing it.” Tony Horton of P90X fame doesn’t know what hard work is. He should follow your DVDs.

Last weekend I did another crazy bike ride: 60 miles, 3,400 ft elevation gain. At mile 58, I faced that hill up to the cabin. Remember that hill from the bed-&-breakfast where you and Tal stayed up to the cabin? The grade for 1,000 meters was rated hardest on a national scale, and I could barely breathe. And no part of me believed that struggle was anything like the hills you are climbing.

So, my new biking routine is to ring my bike bell twice at the top of any hill. Ding, ding, Kim’s winning. On my commute to and from school, there are 3-4 hills each way, ding, ding 6 times. Pedestrians stared at me yesterday because no one was in my way or dangerous. Giggle, ding, ding. Kim’s got solid food, ding, ding. Kim’s walking, ding, ding. (I can’t do the “happy dance” on my bike; otherwise, I’d be doing it.)

Tomorrow I’ll celebrate you in person. I’ll refrain from ringing the bell inside the plane, but all bets are off when I see you in rehab. Be warned. Ding, ding.

Can’t wait, my ringing bell, my warrior. Keep bringing it.
-Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment