about this blog


This blog is dedicated to Kim Niles' friends and family. These letters are messages, meant to inspire hope and love for her recovery. If you would like to post a letter, please send an email with your letter to Kate (dangpoet@msn.com).

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kate's visit, Apr. 28

Dear Kim,

What I love is probably what you hate: mealtime. You roll your eyes and make the best faces. Who knew pepper steaks could be pureed? This morning you offered me pancakes-and-syrup puree and scrambled-egg puree, which actually you ate fairly heartily, which was good to see. When you looked up and told me you were being quite generous in offering your breakfast, I could only agree. "De-lish," you said to your aide.

At lunch when the same, kind aide asked if you liked the broccoli puree, you said ever so politely, "I've tasted better." You didn't eat much lunch.

Today you made another huge stride despite being very tired. You are helping yourself stand up when transferring from bed to chair, from chair to toilet, etc. Unfortunately, though, it will mean that you won't be helped quite as much by the male orderlies. Last night when a young man said, "The best way to do this is if you give me a great big hug," you paused before leaning forward from your seated position on the bed and said, "That works out well for both of us." He blushed.

You were in fine form as I was leaving last night, and I just want to proclaim to all the world that you said, "You are my favorite." (Eat your heart out, Tally and Jennifer.) And as I took at a step toward the door to leave, you said, "Today." (Curses!)

Tomorrow you get to see Sherry, which will do your heart good. Yesterday brought Hannah, and today brought Barbara. I'll have to stand in line, which is a very good thing.

So much love all around you,
-Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment