about this blog


This blog is dedicated to Kim Niles' friends and family. These letters are messages, meant to inspire hope and love for her recovery. If you would like to post a letter, please send an email with your letter to Kate (dangpoet@msn.com).

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

what a good sister you are, from Kate, May 9


Hi my little killdeer,

Folks haven’t been writing so much because we know you’re swamped. Spaulding Rehab keeps you hopping, and who has time to read mail after all you’ve accomplished in a day? What you do in one day turns the rest of us into slugs. And we are.

I’ve been thinking about how lucky we are. It’s not very often that we get do-overs. And one way I feel lucky is that I get to tell you more about how you’ve been a great sister. Believe me, I know you’d never stand for this in person, so I’m sneaking it on the blog…

You’ve been a killdeer for me like the one in the video (it has a false start. Keep watching.) Click HERE.

You’ve been the one to draw attention away from the rest of us, not out of need for attention, but to deflect harm. And you’ve somehow managed to help raise us even while we had parents: the calls on special occasions, the cards, the gorgeous quilts and wall hangings and sweaters, and more. When you’ve arrived at a house, you’ve brought dinner and breakfast and fruit and amaryllis bulbs potted and a big bow around the pots with a card from all of us. And I don’t know if I really thanked you.

I’m so lucky to be able to do that now: thank you. Big time.

You can smack me later.
-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment