about this blog


This blog is dedicated to Kim Niles' friends and family. These letters are messages, meant to inspire hope and love for her recovery. If you would like to post a letter, please send an email with your letter to Kate (dangpoet@msn.com).

Monday, July 9, 2012

the last post, July 9

Hello, my little black-capped sparrow,

Last night I walked out on our new deck at the cabin to watch staccato lines of clouds cross the Columbia River valley in front of me, miles away, and their blue turned purple, and they grew and grew and sparked and exploded. What a tremendous thunderstorm in the distance, the thunderhead turning crimson and eggplant, its wake spread out yellow to green, and I watched until the crimson turned lavender turned magenta turned midnight.






I know we can’t say that the storm missed us. You and John have been sitting right in the middle of the swirl, the whip and bite of lightning, the thunder, rocking everything about your lives. No question. But the rest of us have been miles away, unable to do a damn thing about the violence to your brain, the hail on your days.  None of us can know, at this point, what the future holds, but it’s amazing how blue upon blue the sky can be after the thunderstorm goes. (Believe me, I know that skies for you are not all blue.)

What’s clearer for me after watching at this distance what you’ve navigated:

--an irrevocable belief in something greater than ourselves
--an irrevocable belief in John
--a deeper understanding of medicine as art
--a deep respect for the power of humor and politeness
--a gratitude for life that is as sharp as a tripwire and topples me when I think of you.

I’d say we probably don’t need this blog anymore. I’ll leave it up so that you can read the lovely messages yourself. You have very good friends, and our family is very good. I know that you’re overwhelmed by so much kindness, and you have that Yankee discomfort with  things said out loud.

Well, too bad. 

Read how others love you. Read how I love you. And keep that will of yours thundering.

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment